Friday 27 September 2013

Queens of the Stone Age is the unheard soundtrack to Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad ends on Sunday, I'd like to say how pleased I am that my favourite character

"Don't drink and drive..... but if you do - call me"

is getting a spin off but as this seems to feature in a lot of other comment I'll try and find some fresh things to say.

To follow a theme of recent posts up here one of the most unappreciated parts of Breaking Bad is the music. The cooking montages in particular are beautifully done. The Season 5 episode 3 ("Hazard Pay") cooking montage introduced me to The Peddlers, which despite being from my area and from my part of the world I previously knew nothing about. I've since come to appreciate the Peddlers beyond the ironic and the recent episode of the BBC 6 music freakzone focusing on their classic album, London Suite, is really starting to turn me into a bit of a fan.
The Mariarchi song about Heisenberg at the start of epsiode 7 seasson 2 is pure Breaking Bad, unexpected, funny with an undercurrent of real threat.

One musical artist I've come to associate with Breaking Bad without even actually featuring in the tv show is Queens of the Stone Age. Obviously it must be mostly that Tex Mex setting but the whole lip curling menace of Queens of the Stone Age, and some of their Desert rock 'sister' bands such as Eagles of Death Metal and Mondo Generator (best album "A Drug Problem That Never Existed") could really be pouring right out of Walt's eyes every time becomes Heisenberg.

Favourite images from Breaking Bad?
The head on the tortoise and the teddy in the swimming pool with half it's head missing - a ghostly premonition of the fate of Gus Fring.

Bad guys?
In a series of great bad guys Tuco was still the craziest.

The Ladies
I always hated Skyler. How she made it alive beyond S3 is proof that Walt is a better man than me. In fact the only bearable female character was Jane (way behind Deadwood, The Wire, Mad Men in this regard)

I guess I should thanks to Rob and Odie for forcing me to watch that killer first episode, still one of the best if you've avoided it so far. I struggled through much of first and second seasons and got really sick of seeing Skyler doing the washing up. I and honestly think I've seen better in Deadwood and that bloody Baltimore show everyone is sick of hearing about, but I have to admit it is resolving itself with real power not seen in the others.

Still one episode to go and though it seems Breaking Bad is going out with a serious of classic episodes which tie up everything, I remember thinking the same running up to the end of The Sopranos, which ended in an unexpected manner. Tight, brilliant and literal as BB appears to be leaving us it could make the end of Tony and co even more enigmatic and brilliant in the long term. See the the literal attempts to tie up Lost (awful), Twin Peaks (disappointing), The Wire (anti-climactic) vs. the enigmatic climax of The Prisoner (universally reviled at the time, now considered classic)

Great pic from
http://laughingsquid.com/breaking-bad-the-animated-series/


Final thought, in penultimate episode Walt is trapped in a cabin in the middle of nowhere - another moment I can relate to - with a DVD copy of this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Magorium's_Wonder_Emporium
. I saw that on a plane ..
Bloody hell.. Hasn't this man suffered enough by now?

No comments:

Post a Comment