Film director starts work on a singular, perhaps risky, vision of an existing property. Studio backs him initially.
- Marvel Studious with Edgar Wright
- Josh Trank with Fantastic Four (2015)
Movie/movies are released during production which makes the studio hesitate;
- Iron Man and Avengers create a connected world which doesn't fit with Edgar Wrights vision
- Guardian of the Galaxy proves bright and cheery space opera and superheroes is a valid mix after all
Studio has to make a decision;
- Marvel amicably splits with Edgar Wright but salvages most of his vision for another director to complete. Result - Ant-Man is somewhat faithful to Edgar Wright and pretty much everyone is happy.
- Fox lets Josh Trank complete the majority of his movie, then spreads rumours about his onset behaviour, then sacks him and reshoots it. Result - a complete car crash.
And lets not forget this is Fox's second disaster of this kind with this iconic comic property. In their previous failed attempt to adapt the most famous plotline from this set of characters Fox executives similarly got cold feet during production and slashed the budget, resulting in one of the most famous and recognisable characters in comics being portrayed onscreen as a cloud.